Understanding The Mindset of an Abuser
It can be difficult to identify the signs of verbal abuse, especially if you have been made to believe that you are overreacting, or that these types of interactions are normal. Today on SecondWind With Joyce, our guest Patricia Evans offers her insight on the cause, effect, and signs of verbal abuse in a relationship. She helps us take a look into the mindset of a verbal abuser in order to better understand their behavior, and reminds the audience why we can’t trust their negative views of us.
Internationally recognized, Interpersonal Communications Specialist, Patricia Evans, is the bestselling author of five books, including The Verbally Abusive Relationship, Verbal Abuse Survivors Speak Out, Controlling People, The Verbally Abusive Man: Can He Change? and Victory Over Verbal Abuse. She has single-handedly brought the subject of verbal abuse to the forefront of American consciousness. Newsweek commended her first powerful book on the subject as “A groundbreaking new book.”
One has to really, truly understand that verbal abuse defines you in a negative way, and it’s always a lie told to you. There is no one who can tell you what you think, what you want, what you are, what you need, what you know, that you’re built wrong, made wrong, or whatever.” – Patricia Evans
What You’ll Learn from This Episode:
- What it means to be verbally abusive, and what the signs look like
- Where confabulations come from, and how abusive behavior is formed
- What our 4 functions are and what can happen if we suppress them
- Abusive people tend to view their partners as a missing part of themselves
- Being compassionate comes from empathy which verbal abusers tend to lack.
- The difference between a narcissist and verbal abuser
- How Covid-19 has made women suffering from verbal abuse feel more isolated
Offer: Access a support group and see all five titles of Patricia’s books – Get access here
Featured on the Show: Website
Effortless Happiness: How to Find Your Voice and Finally Ask For What You Really Want Paperback or Kindle copy.