Toby Dorr dared the unthinkable. She broke a convicted murderer out of Lansing Correctional Facility and found herself behind bars. Then she dared even more. Since completing her time in federal prison, she has achieved two master’s degrees and rebuilt a broken life.
Featured in the Wall Street Journal, Anderson Cooper, Brooke Baldwin, Inside Edition, The Atlantic, and Dateline, she is a regular guest on podcasts, including the nationally-ranked podcast, Criminal.
A screenplay of her story is in the works and the Lifetime movie based on her story, Jailbreak Lovers, was released in July, 2022. Dorr created The Unleashed Series, imploring women through twelve-week programs to escape what confines them.
Through her memoir, Living with Conviction: Unexpected Sisterhood, Healing, and Redemption in the Wake of Life-Altering Choices, Dorr takes readers through all of the heart-pounding, tear-jerking,
heartbreaking, eye-opening experiences that touch the most primal human need: the need to be significant. Dorr’s memoir is an inspirational invitation to look upon life with self-acceptance and love.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- Toby’s background and the decision that landed her behind bars
- Toby’s experience in prison and how she found freedom behind bars
- How writing supported Toby’s healing journey
- Fighting back from the “Shame Dragon”
- How Toby worked on her Master’s degrees
- How to escape your own emotional, physical, or spiritual prisons
- Overcoming victim mentality
Links Mentioned in This Episode:
Subscribe to SecondWind with Joyce! New episodes every Tuesday at 9 am CT.
Do you have any feedback or comments about this show? Send us a message! We would love to hear from you!