Making a SMART goal—Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time-bound—is just the first step in making your goal a reality. It’s what you do after that can make or break your objective. Below are 10 essential steps to achieving your SMART goals.
1. Make sure your goal passes the SMART test. To the letter.
2. Align your goals with your values. Without values alignment, you are likely to struggle—if not fail—to implement them.
3. Share your goals with three to five key people to become more accountable. Don’t sabotage yourself: choose people who are supportive and positive.
4. Identify the resources you need to make your goal happen. For example, if your goal is to develop a website for your business, you’ll need to find a designer.
5. Identify ways to save time. Take only the short-cuts that can accelerate your progress and support your goal.
6. Detect potential obstacles. From poor work habits to limiting self-beliefs to too much on your plate—take action to clear these hurdles.
7. Pinpoint at least one daily action. The little things you do everyday are what propel you towards your goal.
8. Establish a support structure. Who or what can provide you with encouragement, advice, healthy feedback or a willing ear?
9. Identify rewards. A soak in the hot springs, a new outfit, dinner out. Little rewards along the way make achieving your goal more fun.
10. Identify an action you will take right now, after you finish this newsletter. Do it.